TOP-10 Stress Management Tips in College
No matter how strange it may sound, but we encounter stress every day. No matter how fit and mentally prepared you are, you are still vulnerable to the daily stressful situations. Don’t worry, there are specific secrets that will help you avoid stress in uneasy situations.
College is one of those stressful places, especially for freshmen. College may turn out to be one of the areas when you find yourself on your own without adult control for the first time in your life. In scientific language, stress is a state when your energy level is lower than your tension level, and you are overloaded and unable to cope with the situation. So, that is exactly when uncomfortable feelings like fear or anxiety appear.
How to Reduce Stress in College
- Sleep! Yeah, it is adventurous to party all night and then go to classes, but believe me, you won’t make it for a long time. Sleep is the major factor that influences our well-being and matters in stress reduction. Not enough sleep puts you at risk of getting serious illnesses, such as obesity, diabetes, and depression. Usually, we need 7-9 hours of daily sleep.
- You should eat well to ensure that your body gets enough vitamins and necessary microelements. So, try to eat at least three times a day and stay away from junk food.
- Physical activity. Another remedy for stress reduction is physical exercising. Getting enough movement reduces stress levels. It can be walking around, jogging, running or yoga.
- No energy boosters. Try not to use unnatural energy stimulants. They can be dangerous in a way that, after the energy splash, your body will be even more vulnerable to stress. So, no caffeine pills or meds if you want to avoid college stress.
- Emotional aid. Have someone you can talk to and share your worries during your adjustment period. Your tensions can be significantly lowered just after a nice chat with your friend.
- Follow your passions. Despite the fullness of our schedule, don’t forget to do what you like. It can be a hobby, a sport or just anything that makes you relax.
- Don’t overload. It is very easy to get too much stuff to do: groups, job or classes. So, you have to be attentive here not to get overloaded.
- Avoid alcohol. Your unresolved stressful situation can get even better if you try to relax with a glass of beer at the end of the day.
- Breathing exercises is what you have to learn – they are perfect for reducing stress. The key is in breaths and how long they last. Try to slowly inhale through your nose and exhale through the mouth.
- Manual therapy is a method to reduce stress on the physical level. Muscles often become tight when you are stressed, so a good massage will help you get rid of this uncomfortable feeling.
So don’t let studying get too much college stress on you, use these tips and be healthy!
Published: August 30, 2016